Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28- fingers in her hair

I figured I would just break the ice with something really melancholy and vulnerable, and then it's all uphill from there! This song is called Fingers in Her Hair.  I am putting 2 versions because one is a really really rough version me on my acoustic piano but to be honest, as much as I love really clean good recordings that can be achieved in the studio, I also think there is something about a raw moment that just happens.  This is one of those times.

There are some topics that have to be off limits for me to write about and this song bleeds into that area.  So I will just say this about the song.

Oh boy... deep breath... 3 years ago I was at one of the lowest times of my life, really really struggling and like any mom would, I kept focus on my kids to get me through.  My daughter's and I have a thing about hair.  When I was young, my mom would brush my hair every night.  I remember watching the littlest hobo.  Come on someone out there must remember that show!   It was a very personal and intimate thing to me and so it is with my daughters and I.

I always do their hair for dance shows and gymnastics competitions and it's something we both look forward to.

During the low time 3 years ago, feeling extremely unimportant, I thought about my daughter and how important it was to her that I did her hair.

When I wrote the song - it was just before a gymnastics competition and....I'm not sure how to explain this without explaining this.... there was a possibility I wasn't going to be able to do her hair.

That night I crawled into her bed with her while she was sleeping. I put my fingers in her hair and laid there and wept.  Then I wrote this song.

There!  I did it.  That wasn't so bad.
I'd be curious to hear your comments on the different versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment